The United States Mission in Nigeria published that it will enhance visa services to help nonimmigrant visa applicants in Nigeria renew their visas. This new application process will start in February at the US Consulate in Lagos, and they will extend it to the US Embassy in Abuja. However, the number of qualifying applicants who can use the new procedures to apply will be limited at first. Meanwhile, applicants who meet the requirements can apply in Lagos until the service extends to Abuja.
Part of the criteria is that one family member must drop off the application documents in person, with exemption to children who are not required to make a drop-off in person.
The embassy signalled that processing might take up to two months while anticipating a few weeks. Furthermore, note that once documents are submitted, they remain unavailable till each application is treated.
You may be eligible for a visa renewal without an interview if your application is for a B1/B2, F, M, J (academic only), H, L or C1/D (combined only) visa, AND you meet each of the following criteria:
- Your previous visa was issued in Nigeria.
- Your previous visa is in the same classification as your current application.
- Your previous visa was a full validity, multiple entry visa.
- Your previous visa expired within the last 24 months or will expire in the next 3 months from the date of application.
- You have all your passports covering the entire period since receiving the previous visa and the passport with the most recent visa.
- You have never been arrested or convicted of any crime or offense in the United States, even if you later received a waiver or pardon.
- You have never worked without authorization or remained beyond your permitted time in the United States.
- If you haven’t already paid the visa fee, you’ll need to pay online or in cash at a GTBank before scheduling to apply to renew your visa.
- If you are qualified based on the above criteria, visit https://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng to start your application.
- Login to the account using the information you used the last time you made a visa appointment or create a profile.
- Select Nonimmigrant Visa Application, New Application/Schedule Appointment, and Visa Renewal Without Interview
- Fill in your information and add any family members who are applying who also meet all the eligibility criteria. (Each applicant must individually meet the criteria; minors can apply without an interview only if they meet the eligibility criteria on their own.)
- Answer a series of questions to determine eligibility for the program.
- If eligible, schedule a date and time to submit your documents to the U.S. Consulate in Lagos (for February appointments) or the U.S. Embassy in Abuja (starting in March).
- Gather the required documents as outlined on the appointment letter and present them at your drop-off appointment time.
- Your passport will be returned by DHL with your visa, if your application is approved, or with a letter telling you next steps to complete your application.
- Please see our website at https://ng.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/ for further information and to monitor changes in processing times.
For consultations, new visa applications and renewals contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +234 906 307 0000. Drop your comment or questions in the comment section below.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated with facts and reliable information.