Ghana Health Service introduced new COVID-19 protocols for international travellers who want to enter the country through Kotoka International Airport (KIA).
The new travel guidelines were stated in the statement released on 9th December 2021 by Patrick Kumah Aboagye, The Director-General of Ghana Health Service.
According to Dr Aboagye, this is necessary due to the recent Omicron variant, which has been discovered in the country. “Over the last two weeks, cases from the airport alone account for about 60% of the total cases recorded in the country,” he explained.
Apart from that, the recent rise in imported COVID-19 cases in the airport is the primary reason to intensify efforts there.
According to the statement, “Globally, some countries are experiencing the fourth wave. Some travellers from these countries will come to Ghana during the festive season.”
New Guidelines for Travellers to Ghana
- All persons 18 years and above arriving in Ghana Will be required to provide evidence of full vaccination for a Covid-19 vaccine
- All unvaccinated Ghanaians and residents of Ghana who are currently outside the country and intend to return within 14 days from the midnight of 12th December 2021 are exempted; however, they will be vaccinated on arrival at the airport.
Travelling Out of Ghana
- All Ghanaians travelling out of the country will be fully vaccinated effective 12th December 2021.
Definition of Fully Vaccinated
A person is said to be fully vaccinated when they have taken the full dose of vaccines approved and registered by the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA), Ghana,
- You need two doses of AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Moderna or Sputnik V to be declared as Fully Vaccinated
- One dose is required for Johnson and Johnson to be declared fully vaccinated.
COVID-19 Vaccines Approved and Registered by FDA, Ghana
- Sputnik V
- Johnson and Johnson
Other Arrival Requirements remain unchanged
- The 72-hour Negative PR test required prior to travel
- Completion of the Health Declaration Form
- All persons Who arrive in Ghana will undergo an Antigen test
We advise that proper consultation is done with your travel specialist before concluding your travel arrangements this festive season.
For consultations, new visa applications and renewals contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call +234 906 307 0000. Drop your comment or questions in the comment section below.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated with facts and reliable information.